When I read this, I thought that this describes my life totally!!! When you're sitting at school trying to come up with a new way of talking about fiction and non-fiction (believe me, it isn't easy!!!), and you have people asking for help, the phone is ringing, classes are coming in looking for direction, your email in dinging, and then the administrator walks in and wants help with the projector. The last thing I feel is creative. I like the suggestion that you get off the grid - take a time out - hide! That's what I need to do. When I can get away from everyone, sit back, and just concentrate on one thing at a time, I feel not only more creative, but more productive. I also tend to like what I've come up with, versus having to settle on a not-so-good lesson just because I didn't have time to come up with something more engaging. I think I'm going to needlepoint a sampler!
I also loved the essentials of being sticky. What a great way to evaluate your presentation without having to show it to someone. Going down the list with some of my old presentations makes me groan. I thought I was doing fairly well with some of my power points, but now I have seen the error of my ways. I look forward to creating some new and exciting tools to use with my classes, as well as teaching my classes how to create new and different presentations themselves.
Monday, November 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Denise,
ReplyDeleteI love your explanation of all the things that happen and keep happening, just when you thought you were busy... I also LOVE your "about me" section that says if you call me, chances are I won't answer and refusing to carry a cell phone everywhere. How are your students on the phone usage? My daughter thinks texting is just like having a conversation. It makes me just a little crazier. I too am in search of "Nirvana" and I know there are no phones there!!!!!
Oops, I forgot to tell you one of my favorite sayings:
ReplyDelete"When your phone's not ringing, it's me!!!!"
Denise - I, too, can totally relate to the struggle with "busyness". When I was reading that section in the book I also thought, "Wow, wouldn't that be nice to take a walk on the beach or spend 5 hours in a coffee shop" but I've come to the realization that the chances of me taking a relaxing, quiet walk on the beach is going to have to be put on hold for now. Someday...maybe...it will happen. :) I am looking forward to a year from now when we'll be done w/our program. That will certainly help with the "busyness" and having a bit more time for other areas in our lives. :)
ReplyDeleteDenise,
ReplyDeleteI have a suggestion. I have used this in the past and it's great when it works out!
Since it's really difficult to have a "quiet" moment at school or even at home sometimes, I have had my students get creative for me. Once you finish your fiction vs. non-fiction unit (lesson) ask the kids to tell you how they would explain the differences. You might find that they are "less busy" and can be more creative. Sometimes we, as teachers, over think it too. Its just an idea but I have seen it work a few times. My middle schoolers will tell me ways they would explain an idea, topic or direction and it seems to be more age appropriate or it just makes more sense!