I have to admit, when I saw the title of this class I was wondering what in the world is a digitale. I had some ideas, and my guess was on the right track, but I learned something new right from the beginning!
I have always enjoyed putting together Power Point presentations - it makes me feel creative. But the last few months I've felt that something is missing. The presentations indeed have become docutations! I think I have found what I've been looking for, and am anxiously waiting to learn more on how to produce my own "digitale". I have to admit, however, that I am also overwhelmed. How do you accomplish everything when you're teaching that you want to accomplish? When I think of how much time I have with my Social Studies class (just one of many) - only 200 minutes a week, or 40 minutes per day. I would love to create digitales that would explain the ancestry of my students (we're going to study Ellis Island) but where do I find the time? I realize that if I just take baby steps integrating technology into my curriculum the students will be the winners in the long run. I just want to do so much too fast!!!! Frustrating!!!
I'm looking forward to this class - I have a feeling that, even though there is a lot of work involved, that it will be fun. Fun work is work you don't mind doing!!
Sunday, October 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I totally understand where you are coming from with your Social Studies students and trying to fit it all in. Remember, integration is about doing something you've always done, but with technology. That way you're not adding more, just doing it in a better way. You're right - any amount of technology you integrate will help your students. Baby steps, Denise!
ReplyDeleteDenise,
ReplyDeleteI am trying to do my artist research project as a digital story this year. Since it's my first year doing it, I am going to have the students work together. eventually I wuold like to have them each produce their own but--baby steps!! We should be doing this in January (right after the class ends) so I will keep you posted on the successes and challenges we encounter at the middle school level.
Also think of how you eat an elephant, one bite at a time. So think of improving your lectures, one at a time. Set a goal for only doing two or three presentations a semester, and slowly let the number you create grow over time.
ReplyDeleteEnlist the help of others, build a library. Someday you will find you have "eaten" the entire elephant of your work, and continued on to create more and better.