Sunday, September 11, 2011

Week 4 - Environment is everything!

I believe that the environment of the place that you are working in is the difference between enjoying the work, and thinking the work is a chore.  In my classroom, I strive to make it a positive learning environment.  At times, however, it is necessary to discipline the students in order to maintain a good working environment.  After the discipline, however, it is important to try to maintain a more positive atmosphere - a "let's move on and learn from the experience" attitude.  It's hard to keep a positive environment when some of the students are negative.  Very frustrating indeed.

What can I do to change this?  The first thing I did, was ask other teachers for advice.  Others have had the same experiences that I am having, and learning from their actions (or inactions) is educational.  Also, after the discipline, I try to do something that is interactive and fun with the class.  This helps the class to see our classroom as a more positive place.  I also try to thank the students after we have had a good class, with good discussion, good participation, and minimum talking (the biggest problem!).  I think if they know that they've done a good job, they might continue to do so.  It doesn't take much to turn a negative into a positive (or vice versa).  I will continue to look for ways to make my class a more positive place - for both me and my students!)

3 comments:

  1. Denise,

    I know exactly what you are taking about with keeping the positive after the disciple. I went to a conference where one of the presenters said something that just stuck. He said to "take the monkey off the back of the good and put it on those that deserve it" in my building we refer to it as a monkey paw. Its hard to do but basically, when a student(s) is misbehaving make them aware of their behavior by positively reinforcing the others. It makes it a positive situation for everyone and forces the individual(s) to take responsibility for their actions by not getting the attention. I know its not something that can be done but I have seen it work wonders at our middle school. Even the students notice the positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, that sounds like something I would be interested in trying. Do you remember who the presenter was? Is there a book involved? This is something I think would work great for my MS kids. I'm so tired of treating my good students like they belong with the "bad" students. I would love to learn how to use this technique!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, I will have to get back to you about the presenters name. I just cant remember it right now!

    ReplyDelete