In our conversion to Google Docs, we are setting up technology mentors to help our staff members who might not be so technologically savvy. I have to remember that to many people, admitting that you don't know something is not only embarrassing, but intimidating. You are giving someone else control over you, just by virtue of your knot knowing what they know. I have to remember to enable my mentee (if that's even a word!!), not intimidate them. I also have to take baby steps with them - teach them something easy to do at first and build on that. The more familiar these teachers get with the technology that we're asking them to use, the easier change will be.
Reading this chapter has given me the direction that I feel I needed in my teaching. You've learned all this from college, but when the daily stresses of working start to press in on you, you forget the fundamentals. This chapter renewed my direction, and helped put me on the right track again.
Monday, September 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It was funny that you mentioned a change in technology and how intimidating it is for staff (especially veterans). Our district seems to implement MANY changes every year and the ones that seem to get the most resistance are ones that have to do with technology. You are exactly right, people don't like to admit what they don't know. Implementing new curriculum or collecting data is easier for teachers to try than learning new technology!
ReplyDelete