Sunday, August 14, 2011

CEDO656-Moving the Cheese

This was an interesting class this week.  One thing that a person in a leadership role needs to be able to do is adapt to change, and help others adapt as well.  One thing that really stuck with me from this week's assignments was the one about how if you change one thing in an organization, it doesn't really change that organization.  You need to change many things - elements - in order to change the organization.  This makes me think of our school.  There are pockets of teachers who are constantly trying to make their lessons better - integrating technology, engaging the students, learning new things themselves so they are excited about learning.  And then there are the Haws, who refuse to change for anything.  The principal can go up to them and tell them his expectations, and the teachers turn around and say "you've got to be kidding.  Me!".  Even though we have our pockets of teachers who are willing and able to do anything and everything for their kids, without the Haws getting on board, we will never be able to change our school.  I hope I never become a Haw.  I might not always like change, and I tend to be cautious about some changes, but life is about changes, and to not change is to not live - personally and professionally.  I for one intend to keep changing (just enough to keep it interesting!!!).

1 comment:

  1. Denise,
    I really liked your example about how some changes in a building won't necessarily change the entire building. It's hard to get 100% buy-in with anything and I think that is something that administrators strive for every year! I have seen too many administrators let Haws just be instead of doing something about it. It will be interesting to see in my district, now that we are teaching without a contract (and therefore seniority, tenure, etc) if any of the Haws will actually change a bit. It's sad that their motivation would simply be just keeping their job instead of what's best for the kids. I also agree that I hope I never become a Haw. I feel like as I get older, I'll have to find someone who will tell it to me straight if I become that person!

    ReplyDelete