Similarities and Differences: I understand how students will retain information better if they classify it or compare it to something that they know. I plan on using a form of the classification table that was created in Word to have my SS students compare the different regions of the US using their own classifications. I feel this is an awesome way for the students to understand the similarities and the differences between the regions. It might make an interesting little quiz for them as well, if they create and exchange the tables and require the other students to figure out the classification criteria. I think that using this method would engage the students better than just using the textbook and worksheets.
Homework: When I was a student, I didn't work toward understanding the content of the lesson. I was only concerned about that grade that I received on my homework assignment and test/quiz. And when I didn't get a good grade, I was devastated. I understand the importance of making comments on assignments instead of just writing the grade on them (great job, fantastic, etc.) but instead of congratulating the student on a good job, I'm going to try to write constructive criticism on the ones that didn't do so well. Without writing more than a sentence, maybe my comment will help a student to understand what they didn't get, or that they should just slow down and think before answering. This kind of comment might be more helpful than "Awesome Job!" (although that helps too!).
Hypotheses: What an awesome way to test a hypotheses than playing a role-playing game! I've already decided that my students are going to use the Thanksgiving one listed in the book for the week of Thanksgiving. The absentee rate is high during the week of Thanksgiving, so using this resource would be awesome for the kids that do attend school and the kids who don't attend school won't miss out on anything important. I never thought of testing hypotheses in this way. Neat!
Saturday, October 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Denise,
ReplyDeleteI think your students will really appreciate your helpful comments and advice. Then they know that you really took the time to read over their work and grade it. And maybe this will remind them to do their best because the teacher WILL be looking at the assignment thoroughly. I hope your first few weeks as a Social Studies teacher are going well. It sounds like you are getting some great ideas to try out with your students. And anything fun for the dedicated students who show up during the short Thanksgiving week is a plus!
Denise,
ReplyDeleteI think you are right on track for the homework and practice. I, too, didn't worry about the content when I was the student; I just focused on getting it done well so my grades would reflect it. I agree with what you said about constructive comments. Remember when we learned about feedback and how words like "Fantastic" and "Good Job" weren't very helpful if we aren't specific about telling a student what they do right or wrong.
Denise,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with your homework comments. I on the other hand was concerned about the grade at the time but my grades weren't always the best. I did however get more from my teachers when they helped me discover other answers besides what I gave. This opened up the possibility that there is always more than one way to do something. As a teacher, I make sure that I put something productive on each paper. I have the benefit of not assigning many written assignments in band, but when we do write I can feel free to write as many comments as possible to help each child open their ideas up to some other possibility.
Thanks for the post.