Sunday, June 20, 2010

I'm a Google Girl!

This week we took a look at different search engines, as well as online work processing sites.  In our reading, we took a look at the characteristics of technology-based learning and how to challenge our students to think critically.
Through our assignments , I was required to look at other search engines, which opened my eyes to the strengths and weaknesses of the variety of search engines available.  Even though I don't think I will change my personal choice in search engines, at least now I can make an educated decision as to the search engine I want to use.  I also found out ways I can use Google more efficiently, such as how to search just government sites, or how to search the Invisible Web. 

I think in my Info Lit classes that I teach, I will include a search engine comparison.  I haven't done this before, but I think the students should realize the difference between search engines, and make a educated decision on which one to use for which purpose.  I can use some of the resources that we used in class as well.

1 comment:

  1. Denise,

    I, too, am kinda locked into Google as a search engine, but the info is there about others. I like the idea as a precursor to other projects assigned - to look at the difference between search engines and document them. Thanks,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete