Sunday, April 25, 2010

Computer Hardware Components

Opening up a computer was very interesting for me.  You hear words like hard drive, processor, and motherboard, but you can't picture it in your mind.  Now that I've actually seen what a hard drive and the other components look like, and have seen how they're all interconnected, it's easier to understand how the different components work together. I believe that the more you understand about something, the more intelligent decisions you can made regarding that thing.  The more I understand about computers and how they work, the more intelligent decisions I can make about my, and other, computers.  I look forward to reading all the research papers on the different components of the computer.  I think that will further my understanding about the workings of a computer even further.

5 comments:

  1. The Under the Hood assignment was helpful, especially when someone starts may start talking about the computer's motherboard. Now we know what it looks like and where is might be located. Do you computer troubleshoot a lot for teachers and staff? I do sometimes, so I think learning about computer hardware components will come in handy when I have to wear that "hat." =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that I'm more approachable than our tech guy, so people do come to me to see if I can help them out. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. I guess I'm more of an application tech (if you want to do something in Word or Power Point, I'm your guy!) Hopefully, I can start to blur those edges a little between application and hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way you do, Denise. People often come to me, also, mostly because our tech person is too busy. I used to be mostly about applications, too, but am definitely feeling more confident about other aspects after having this class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I third your comments ladies!! I am great at a few things that I have picked up from IT friends and certain tutorials online.. however I would like to also "blur the lines" a bit myself between my application skills and knowledge vs my lack of hardware skills.. lol. One can HOPE ;) Many people come ask my questions bc they see I am always in the IT office...probing them for answers to my many questions and getting them to SHOW me how to do it myself....I like the hands on training I've received thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great way of expanding your knowledge is to find an old computer, take some components out, examine them, and put them back. I guarantee your curiosity- and your knowledge- will grow by leaps and bounds.

    ReplyDelete