Monday, May 3, 2010

Protecting my computer and how I fail it

Sometimes I am amazed that my computer still runs.  I realize that there are some basic maintenance that you're suppose to do, but other than running my antivirus scans, I don't do anything.  I understand what defragging is, but I forget where that program is.  What I need to do is learn everything that I should be doing to my computer on a regular basis and set up a calendar so I know when I last ran a scan or defragged.  Or get into the habit that every, say Saturday, I start running through a menu of maintenance items that need to be done on a regular basis.

When it comes to school, I'm not really sure where my responsibilities start and there the IT guy's end.  Every time I ask if there's some kind of maintenance I should be doing on the computers in the LMC and the computer lab attached to the LMC, he tells me not to worry about it.  Yet the students are constantly having problems either connecting the network or the internet, or problems with the hardware.  I think if there was a clear cut plan that tells people what they are responsible for and when it should be done, the computers in our school would be in better shape.  I think I'll talk to our tech committee about that.  If people are responsible for the basic maintenance of the computers in their room, not only would the mundane problems be less, people would take more ownership of the computers and use them more appropriately (such as no eating or drinking by a keyboard).  Looks like it's a good idea I took this course!

1 comment:

  1. "he tells me not to worry about it."

    But it obviously becomes a worry when kids aren't able to do the things they need to do.

    I can honestly say our district has established an impressive system of installation and maintenance. Users don't have to "worry about it" too much because all is set up correctly.

    ReplyDelete