I don't know very much about how a computer works. I do realize that the difference between a Mac and a PC is that a PC uses DOS as an underlying operating system, so that there is another system running under the what you actually see. I don't think a Mac uses DOS, so what you see is pretty much what you're getting. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong!
As for the insides of a computer, I don't know anything! What I know is that if the computer goes someplace that I'm not familiar with, I run to the tech guy! I'm not brave enough to try a lot of things, as I've seen the results of people who thought they knew what they were doing, and the repercussions of that "knowledge". I think that's why it's easier for my students to use computers - they aren't afraid to try something. As they say, if it doesn't work, fix it and move on. I have a hard time doing that!
I'm hoping that by taking this Masters program, I'll be a little more in control of my computer exploits, and if something does pop up on my computer that I'm not familiar with, I will be able to take care of it myself, or know where to go for the answers.
Saturday, April 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You are correct, beginning with Windows 2000, Windows no longer needed to run on top of DOS. Macs never did run DOS. You are also correct about the repercussions of the "knowledge" of some people. I've sometimes been the cause of those repercussions.
ReplyDelete