I have to admit, I have never done an eportfolio before. I've had to create a traditional portfolio, and when comparing the two, I prefer an eportfolio - it seems easier to create. Especially the way that our cohort has had us create our projects as we went along and you can find them all in our Google Docs. No searching through folders and hoping that you saved the work you need.
My school presently doesn't do eportfolios, but it would be an interesting experiment to have the students create one. For my project, I'm thinking about having my 7th grade Social Studies class go paperless, and have them create a mini-portfolio at the end of a unit. Our principal is thinking about our school using Google Apps for everything, and this would be an excellent way not only to introduce the students to Google Apps, but a good way to show our staff that this would work. Not only work, but be easier than traditional Word and email applications.
I look forward to creating my eportfolio. When reflecting on the work that I have done throughout the program, I am shocked at how much I have learned, how little I knew, and how I take my new knowledge for granted - using these apps are becoming a way of life for me and making my life not only easier, but more interesting. I'm hoping that they are doing the same for my students!
Monday, June 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I've never done an ePortfolio either and my school requires a few paper portfolios for different classes but nothing online. I share the sentiments in your last paragraph. I'm a little concerned because I probably don't have all of the same artifacts the rest of you do. Looking back at my classwork that I have saved, I don't have a whole lot, not because I didn't do it, but because there was no ePortfolio component in place when I started the program. We had all sorts of assignments, but they were things like creating documents on these little free education sites that Louis found and I'm sure that my accounts on those sites have long since been closed. We'll see, I'm sure it'll work out.
ReplyDeleteAwesome project idea! I love the idea of having your students learn about e-portfolios and also going paperless!
ReplyDeleteOur district just got 1:1 netbooks for our incoming 7th graders and if you end up doing this as your final project, let me know how it went. I'm sure my collegause would be interested in any advice/experience you could share! :)
And lastly, I completely agree with you on the ease of e-portfolios. For my undergrad we had to create 3 different teaching portfolios and each one was just a big headache. I think i spent more time trying find the artifacts (whether it be on a computer file, disk, written assignment, etc) than i did reflecting on it. Using google docs/wikis has made finding the artifacts so simple. Now i can spend much more time on writing rationales and reflecting on my work! woohoo!!