Sunday, September 12, 2010

Effectiveness of Teaching and Learning

While reading this study, I was struck with the research results which stated that the behavior of students who learned using technology was better than students who learned without using technology.  This is very significant for middle school teachers, as these students generally have a difficult time dealing not only with their school work, but also with the changes that are taking place in their bodies and trying to deal with social issues.  I plan on incorporating technology into my social studies class as much as possible, but I was going to do so in order to break up the course, to get away from the textbook and worksheets, as well as giving my students experience with the different technology.  Until I read this study, I never dreamed that learning with technology would influence the behavior of my students.  I am going to take notes as to the behavior differences when I use technology, and post it in future blogs.

1 comment:

  1. I also teach middle school, and I struggled at first with my health classes because the kids would not settle down. Last year, I taught both semesters of health primarily using technology tools. I always had 100% engagement. One of the kids in the class was the biggest pain in the butt for all other teachers, but he was perfect in my class, and it was because of the technology element (even though I like to think I am awesome and his engagement was due to my sparkling personality).

    ReplyDelete